Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Nice Package

I got my haircut on Friday at Toni and Guy. And of course, as usual, I wasn't able to resist picking up a few products. And when I got home I realized what a collection I already have -- not to mention the two other TIGI flat irons Jaime has given me over the years! * One is a super skinny flat iron and one is really thick, just to defend myself a little!

Sure the products are nice.  I love the smell and right after having your hair styled I am a sucker for buying whatever the stylist puts in my hair. But do the products really work better than what I could get at Duane Reade? NO! However I am totally drawn in by the packaging. It is eye candy and then with the pretty fragrance -- well it's over for me ;-)

I even used Toni and Guy's packaging design as a topic in my Parsons application essay. In my essay I talked about packaging design, and how I admit to purchasing products more for their clever design than for what the product can actually do for me. I am fascinated by brands and packaging design is a key element in building a brand. Sometimes the aesthetics are worth more than the actual makeup of the product. 

If I was ever to go back to school, it would be for packaging design or communication arts. I could eat this stuff up! As evidenced by my large collection of hair products, MAC makeup containers and cool water bottles like Voss -- although I am thinking of making the investment in a Sigg water bottle -- more green, but also just a really cool design!

No comments:

Post a Comment