Monday, March 23, 2009

Music and Art

In a design class at Parsons we were told to pick out a song.  After really listening to the song we were instructed to draw 9 fashion croquis (the French word for sketch -- it is used to refer to any elongated fashion figure).  Eventually we created an entire collection based off that one song. I choose Cascada's "Every Time We Touch", and I had an absolute ball working on that collection. I would stay up until the wee hours of the morning listening to Cascada as I put the finishing touches on my sketches. 

I often think about that project and the relationship between music and art, and how one sparks something in the other. I love having music on as I work. I am a total I-tunes junkie and I find I am in constant need of new music. 

In fact if I get to the bottom of the stairs and realize I left my phone at home, I take it as a blessing and keep going, but if I forget my IPOD I'll climb back up the four flights of stairs so that I can have my music. 

I really like my latest selection of downloads. They include:

1) Kings of Leon "Only By The Night"
2) Lily Allen "It's Not Me, It's You"
3) Slum Dog Millionaire soundtrack -- LOVE M.I.A. Paper Planes and Dreams on Fire
4)Erin McCarley "Love, Save the Empty"
5)MGMT "Oracular Spectacular" -- playing "Kids" over and over again!

--  I probably shouldn't admit these downloads, but I do like them...

6) Lady Gaga
7)Kelly Clarkson
8) The Fray
9)Taylor Swift
10) Pussy Cat Dolls 

-- and then some older ones, but love them none the less

11) The Killers "Human"
12) Pink's entire "Funhouse" album
13) Katy Perry "Hot and Cold"
14) Lights "Last Thing On Your Mind"


 

3 comments:

  1. Can you say my music soul mate... I have a lot of the same "guilty" downloads lately. Im obsessed with Lily Allen. The boys in the office HATE me. They go home singing "Fuck you" its really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) She is the best, right? I love her lyrics and how she can say something so explicit and yet have this light-happy-go-lucky beat! It cracks me up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the new music ideas.

    ReplyDelete