Monday, March 30, 2009

Henri Liked Me

My day started at 2:30am so that I could be in line by 4am. By the time I got to Henri Bendel's there were already seven other people ahead of me for the Open See event. The lady that was first in line had gotten there at 1am!!!!

I opted for the fashionista-look, meaning my open-toe, Chloe' , 4-inch-platforms and a cropped, sculptural jacket from Zara that was very Oscar de la Renta -- which of course offered no protection against the wind and chill, over a little black dress.  But as one designer explicitly proclaimed "This is F**ing Henri Bendel's, you have to play the part!" Okayyy, check, style accomplished, just five hours to see if my collection will make the cut. 

Jen Tan-Chi was in line behind me, so we got to visit, and my friend Berit was a doll and got there at the crack of dawn to help be my assistant.  I am so thankful for her help!

After five hours of waiting, you had less than 2 minutes to present your collection. My professor, Tom Handley from Parsons, had told me about a friend of his that was working the event. And she was the one that ended up reviewing my headbands, it was meant to be! She was really enthusiastic and she immediately pulled over the head buyer and had her look at my headbands. 

They gave me their card and said they wanted me to come back for a full appointment. In "Bendel Speak" that means everything. A lot of designers left with no business cards, and I guess from the past those with cards and an appointment were "in". It felt like I was trying out for a play and I got a call-back.  

I made a lot of great connections standing in line and met a lot of fun designers. People came from all over the country, and even the world -- Brazil, Canada, Chicago, LA, Miami, Atlanta. It was interesting to see everyone else's creativity and how they presented themselves and their goods. 

My adrenaline kept me going and now I am absolutely ready to crash. But Amanda is cooking me an amazing dinner with the boys in my honor, so I am off to celebrate for a bit...and watch some 24, Heroes, and Gossip Girl -- have to get some more inspiration for the next round. Well more from Blair and Serena, Jack and Peter - not soo much ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment