Sunday, April 11, 2010

Forever Young at Abercrombie and American Eagle





Jay Z's "Young Forever" has been on repeat and it made me think about my taste in clothes.

I love fashion. Do I really need to even validate it -- I graduated from Parsons, worked in the industry, and lived in one of THE FASHION CAPITALS for 4 years. I have boots that cost as much as rent, a closet full of designer purses, jeans, and enough fashion magazines and Women's Wear Dailies to wall paper an entire house. And yet what do I revert to? Not Lanvin or Rodarte but Abercrombie and Fitch and American Eagle!

Seriously, I dress like a southern-California surfer girl. Ripped up jean shorts, denim skirts and tank tops! I appreciate, adore and enjoy almost every aspect of fashion, especially the creative process. But when it comes to buying and putting together my own wardrobe I am not the poster child for haute couture! And to top it off, I am shopping at retailer's that cater to the tween and teen market! I may be obsessed with Blair Waldorf and Gossip Girl, but I dress more like the cast of 90210 and The O.C.

Maybe it does come from growing up in sunny Arizona -- everything is relaxed and Phoenix & Scottsdale draw a lot of their energy & style from their next door neighbor, California.

I also think it is comes from liking to layer on the accessories -- bangles, headbands (surprise, surprise, I was buying insane head gear years before I even started designing them), and my dedication to rocking super-tall shoes and fantastic boots ;-) It really does boil down to being more a shoe and accessory girl. Wear simple staples and then rock out with the crazy shoes and accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment