Monday, April 12, 2010

Al Beadle or Whitney Port?



















In January Cassy Saba and I were walking through NY's garment district. We were leaving Laura Bennett's (3rd season Project Runway finalist) apartment on our way to talk to Laura's manufacturing company when Cassy spotted Whitney Port, MTV Reality Star. I was on my iPhone scrolling through an email that Heather Maclean (my real estate agent) had sent me. I was in the market for a new home and Heather had graciously been showing me homes since the summer.

I wanted something modern. I wanted to be in the Arcadia area. I was partial to Al Beadle homes and mid-century modern design. As I flipped through the MLS listing Heather sent me, my heart stopped. The Camelback Place Townhouse she sent me was PERFECT! It was in the heart of the Arcadia-Biltmore area, it was mid-century modern, it was an Al Beadle design and the price was phenomenal for a Beadle home at the golden intersection of 32nd and Camelback. Cassy grabbed me as she let out a scream and booked it down the street to run after Whitney. Cassy is a jewelry designer and she wanted to connect with Whitney to show her designs. I know the importance of having a celebrity wear your designs and the marketing impact it can create. But instead of chasing Whitney I scrambled to call Heather and tell her I wanted that HOME and that we should put an offer in! I had not even been inside the townhouse but I knew it had to be mine.

Three days later when I was back in Phoenix, Heather showed me the home and I put in an offer later that day. That was only the beginning of what turned into a very stressful roller-coaster ride! First someone outbid me, then a month later their offer fell through, so I put in another offer, then the appraisal did not match the seller's price and the lending piece got screwed up. One moment we would have great news and the very next, very deflating news, it was like Katy Perry's "Hot N Cold" song. Finally at the end of March I closed escrow and the deed was recorded. The place is finally mine!

It needs a good deal of work. But that is okay. I am hiring my friend Bob Wilkinson to completely remodel the place. We have a ton of ideas and we are going to create a masterpiece & turn this townhouse into one huge art piece. I am Bob's first official client since going out on his own and starting a design-build firm, Worksite.

So I may not have connected with Whitney Port but I got my "Beadle Box". And who knows, if Bob and I do an amazing-enough remodel, maybe we can be featured in a design magazine, and Whitney is no stranger to the world of high-end magazines ;-)

3 comments:

  1. jenn, what an exciting account of the whole drama unfolding! yes, we are going to make it sing again (and then some), since that's what all of al's projects were meant to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A roller coaster it was...And I am sooo happy it ended the way that it did!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) We still need to celebrate Heather! Drinks at Postino's sometime very soon! And yes, Bob, Camelback Place will sing like the Morman Tabernacle Choir. LOL.

    ReplyDelete