Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Namaste

I am a pretty laid back, flexible & gracious person. When someone tells me they are not going to be able to make it to an event or simply tells me "NO" to my request, I understand and I leave it at that. We all lead extremely busy lives, I don't expect a novel of an explanation. No means No, clear and simple enough -- nor am I offended by the answer "No".

But what kills me is that I respect other people's boundaries but the moment I stand up for myself I seem to get slapped on the wrist. This drives me nuts! REALLY NUTS!

I do not have magical super powers, I have a limit to what I can take on and how much I am willing to commit to. And there are days I simply CANNOT answer one more phone call, one more email or make it to one more event. I am not trying to be snotty or self-important, I just simply can't go beyond what I can handle.

I am becoming a big fan of yoga, and the saying "Namaste" means to honor yourself as you honors others. And that is what I need to do. You can't be there for others if you are never there for yourself. You have to refuel before you can attend to the needs of others.

This month I have had a tremendous amount on my plate. I am not complaining, but at the same time, there are many moments where I just need a few moments to myself and I do not want to have to justify, validate, explain or qualify why I need that moment. I respect when you tell me "No" without throwing a fit, now PLEASE do the same for me. Even if you don't understand, could you please respect :-) Namaste...

No comments:

Post a Comment