Friday, August 6, 2010

Project Key Chandelier





Last fall I designed a barrette out of two keys. I have always thought keys were very ornamental and decorative, so why not wear them in your hair? The reactions I have received are funny and I often look at people and think "Did you really just say that OUT LOUD!?" But none the less the keys have become one of my signature hair pieces.

Bob and I were brainstorming different ways we could design a chandelier for my Al Beadle condo. One of my ideas was to stuff Voss water bottles full of all my headband making scraps (strips of ribbon, bits of pearls and charms, etc.) and have him then construct a metal base to hang them off of. Then one day while sitting at a traffic light I started playing with my key clip and the idea dawned on me to make a chandelier out of keys, I emailed Bob and he called me within seconds! He had the same idea dawn him moments earlier!!!!! WE were onto something! It was in the air. The two of us tend to have a lot of synergy when it comes to our design-art projects...

Here are the Sketch Up pictures he made for me of my "Key Chandelier". We are going to need over a 1000 keys and we would love to collect them from families and friends. We want the chandelier to have a story, to have depth and to have some soul. If you would like to donate any of your old keys we will gladly take them off your hands...message me...your keys can be a part of a larger art project.

-- The Key Girl

1 comment: